Today is the first day of fall. Woah. Full disclosure: I’m not your typical pumpkin-spice-latte-everything-as-soon-as-september-hits white girl. *gasp!* In the spirit of my rebellion, I’m posting a recipe that I should have posted months ago. A wonderfully light, summery Tomato Chickpea Caprese salad.
We’ve been gobbling up this easy side dish all summer and I can’t believe I have never posted it on here! We were getting pint after pint of cherry tomatoes and this is the best way to use them up.
I like to make a big batch on the weekend to have in the fridge all week. It also make a great topping for a lettuce salad. A salad salad. Saladsalad. Meta salad…
I use a bit of oil to make a dressing but to be honest, you don’t need it. The salt causes the tomatoes to release their juices and creates a sweet and tangy dressing. I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t drink the juice from the bottom of the Tupperware. #noshame
So if you’re like me, not quite ready for puffy vests and pumpkin-mania, hang onto a few last moments of summer with this easy-as-[not pumpkin]pie Tomato Chickpea Caprese salad!
This light, fresh play on classic Caprese is vegan, low-fat, and addictively delicious!
- 1 pint mixed cherry tomatoes (or two cups chopped regular tomatoes)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 8-10 large basil leaves
- 1 Tbs. olive oil (optional)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. each, salt + pepper
- Stack the basil leaves flat on top of each other, roll them up, and thinly slice the roll. Add basil, chickpeas, and tomatoes to a large bowl.
- If using oil, whisk together with lemon juice and salt and pepper. Pour over tomatoes and chickpeas and toss to combine. Enjoy!