Happy Friday everyone! I hope you’re ready to enjoy the beautiful weekend ahead 🙂 be sure to give your dad an extra hug and remind him how much you love him! Or maybe try to talk him into a meatless meal like the one I have for you today… Good luck! Hehe
Being a vegetarian can make finding protein sources challenging. You can only eat so many hard-boiled eggs and protein shakes. Tofu has become a great option for me because it’s easy to prepare, especially in this recipe! No pressing or 30 minutes of draining required! I will say, if you are an adamant tofu hater this may not be the recipe for you. A lot of people aren’t crazy about the texture (I understand) and this dish does not mask that with frying or baking. Rather, the tofu is quickly poached and maintains it’s soft, somewhat squishy texture. I like it this way, mostly because it soaks up so much sauce, but if you don’t feel free to prepare it however you prefer. This dish could also be easily adapted for carnivores as the focus is on the sauce- feel free sub chicken or shrimp for the tofu if you desire.
What I love about this sauce is that it’s HOT. The kind of hot where I usually make a trip to the ladies room for a tissue halfway through. But it doesn’t have to be. You can use as much or as little heat as you like. It tastes amazing with rice and vegetables as well. I love it with broccoli or green beans especially- yum!
Toasting the sesame seeds and giving them a quick grind really brings out their oils and flavor, I wouldn’t recommend skipping this step. Since this sauce can be served with the simple tofu and steamed veggies, take the time to make the sauce well. It will pay off immensely. If you like, double the sauce recipe and keep the extra in your fridge to spice up your work week dinners or for a quick base for some fried rice of leftover veggies.
I have made this recipe over and over and love it every time…
You just can’t lose with this stuff. It’s easy, spicy, and versatile- add it to your favorite meat or meat substitute and let me know how it goes!! Enjoy!
- 1 package firm tofu, rinsed
- 3 Tbs liquid aminos, soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbs sesame seeds
- 1/4 green onions, thinly sliced white and light green parts only
- 1/2- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Cut the block of tofu in half or smaller and place in a small pot with just enough water to cover. Simmer for 5-10 minutes while preparing sauce.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan or toaster oven until barely golden then lightly grind in mortar and pestle (or with the back of a spoon).
- Whisk liquid aminos and oil lightly in a small bowl to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk together to form sauce.
- Remove tofu from water and set on paper towels to drain slightly.
- Pour sauce over prepared tofu and veggies or rice and serve immediately.