Last summer, John and I got our first grill and went a little wild… Meaning we. grilled. everything. From corn to peaches to avocados; if it had a solid surface, we slapped it on the grates! This year, we are continuing the adventure and getting even more creative. We’ve made this Grilled Zucchini and Leek Salad 5 or 6 times already and it’s only technically five days into summer! Needless to say, it has become our favorite go-to weeknight meal.
There’s just something so summery about grilling. The char marks, the smell, the flames… I love going on walks in the summer evenings and being able to sniff out who’s grilling! “Ummm hi can I come over for dinner?”
When I saw this recipe that used leeks on the grill I knew I had to try it. Leeks might be my new favorite vegetable… Is that weird?? Maybe… They’re sort of onion-y but really mellow and almost sweet. Then throw them on a hot flame….
Wheeewww-yyy. So good.
This dish needed a little extra *something* to bulk it up and round out the meal… My first thought was “Man, some goat cheese or feta would really take this to another level”. Oops. Not very vegan of me. Instead, I added my super flavorful Lemon Garlic Roasted Chickpeas and they were purrrrrfect!
Even though this is called a salad and is light and summery, the warm veggies and chickpeas make it totally filling.
It’s summer time so whip out that grill! If you’re lucky enough to have a grill master like I do, you can team up and knock this dish out in about 20 minutes! He grills, I make the mix-ins, everyone wins!
We can't get enough of all things grilled around here! This warm grilled salad is light enough for hot summer nights but hearty enough to make a full meal!
- 1 very large (or 2 smaller) zucchini
- 2-3 leeks or large spring onions, dark green parts trimmed
- 1 batch Lemon Garlic Roasted Chickpeas
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs. Roasted Garlic, or fresh grated (2-3 cloves)
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbs. olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 tsp. sea salt (plus more)
- ¾ tsp. pepper (plus more)
- Heat oven to 400 and make Roasted Chickpeas while preparing the rest of the dish.
- Trim the ends off the zucchini and slice lengthwise into two long pieces. Slice leeks in half lengthwise (do NOT remove root- this keeps them together on the grill). Drizzle the cut-sides of all the veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to high heat. Once extremely hot, add zucchini face-down. Leave on grill without moving for 4-5 minutes. After 4 minutes, add the leeks/onions face down and flip zucchini over. Grill marks should have developed.
- Wait 2-3 minutes and check the leeks for grill marks. Once developed, they should be softened enough to eat. If they are particularly large, flip and grill 3 more minutes. Remove all veggies and transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly.
- Add lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Toss in parsley and walnuts. Chop grilled veggies into 1” pieces and add to bowl along with roasted chickpeas.
- Toss all ingredients gently to combine. Top with extra parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
We’re big eaters around here so we can usually polish off this whole recipe in one meal, with maybe a few leftovers for lunch. If you’re cooking for a crowd, I would recommend doubling this or just serving it as a small side dish.