A cauliflower steak is not a steak. Cauliflower wings are not wings. Cauliflower is rice is DEFINITELY not rice. Cauliflower is a fun ingredient to use as a substitute for meaty-like items, but this dish doesn’t try to disguise the white florets. In fact, Five Spice Whole Roasted Cauliflower is all about celebrating this vegetable in all its glory.
Roasted cauliflower is on weekly rotation at our house. We just throw the chopped veggies on a pan with some spices and dip it in hummus and mustard for the easiest weeknight dinner. I’m all about that one pan dinner life.
When I saw recipes for elegant whole roasted cauliflower popping up all over the web, I thought for sure I’d never abandoned my tried-and-true weeknight dinner. After all, who has time to make an elaborate dinner after a long day of work, right? Oh, how wrong I was.
Although this plate is pretty enough for a dinner party, it’s easy enough to make any night of the week. Just slather, bake, slice, and devour!
Chine five spice is a blend of ground cinnamon, clove, fennel, star anise, and peppercorns and has an amazingly powerful flavor. The smell filled our house for a few days and no one was mad about it.
We sliced this up and just ate it with a little dollop of the tangy chimichurri sauce. It’s a bit sharp on it’s own, but this take on a classic condiment it’s the perfect compliment to the mellow cauliflower flavor.
Whole roasted cauliflower- oh you fancy, huh?
Impress friends and family with this elegant yet simple recipe. Deliciously spiced and flavorful Five Spice Whole Roasted Cauliflower is an instant hit!
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/3 cup Tahini
- 2 Tbs. Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tsp. Miso
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 5-6 Tbs. water
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 glove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1-2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- Prepare the cauliflower by removing the outer leaves and trimming the bottom of the stem. The head should be flat so it can sit easily in a shallow roasting pan.
- Mix the tahini, spices and water and in a small bowl and pour over the cauliflower. Use a spoon to spread the mixture evenly over the entire surface.
- Cover loosely with foil and roast in a 425-degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and roast another 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- To prepare the chimichurri, mix the ingredients and serve on the side of the dish.