Rumor has it spring is on the horizon! An eternal pessimist realist, I’m not counting my eggs before they hatch. Errr… My black beans before they sprout? What I’m trying to say is that I’m still cooking up this warm, spicy, smoky Chipotle Black Bean Soup!
Our tulips started peeking through the ground this weekend! In March?! I worry a late frost will be their demise but I will admit, they are a welcome sign of the season changing.
About this soup… I’ve been all about one-pot meals lately. Something about cool weather makes it impossible for me to scarf down a salad at night. Just doesn’t quite warm my soul the same way a soup or stew does. And black bean soup is practically the way to my heart.
This version of soup is infused with chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. I absolutely love this stuff. You can find it in the Hispanic section of any grocery store. It keeps well in the fridge, just transfer it to a glass jar. Oh and if you’re looking for a bomb (veggie) burger topping, mix it with a bit of mayo for a hot, flavor-packed aioli!
This soup is as simple as can be. Oh, and the whole shebang costs just a few bucks! Dried beans for the win! Cheap, spicy, AND easy?! I promise we’re not talking about gas station burritos here…
Spicy, smoky, easy, cheap, creamy, delicious! How many more positive adjectives can be used about this Chipotle Black Bean Soup?! Too many to count!
- 1lb bag black beans, rinsed and soaked 8 overnight
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce, chopped
- 1-2 Tbs. Adobo sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. each salt & pepper
- Cilantro and avocado, for topping
- Soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat, add onions and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except toppings) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 60-90 minutes, until beans are completely softened.
This soup freezes extremely well. Just portion into 2-cup sandwich bags and freeze flat.