When you’re short on time, high on hunger, and looking for a satisfying vegan, gluten free dinner, Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms is the way to go! Just 10-ingredients and 30 minutes are all you need to make this delicious dinner happen!
Hey pals! Been a while, eh? Somehow life happened and it’s already almost Christmas and my head is spinning! I’ll spare you the gory details but basically I started a new job, have been dealing with major hormonal issues, and am trying to prepare for Christmas despite my general dislike of gift buying. Life’s a trip.
Moving right along…. I know you’re busy and so am I and that’s why I’m certain you are going to LOVE today’s recipe. It’s quick, easy, comforting, healthy, warm, and perfect for this time of year. To be honest, this time of year is when I bake cookies every night instead of dinner and carryout becomes a major food group in our house. No complaints, I like not fussing over dinner sometimes.
But on days when I do want a home cooked meal but don’t want to spend hours stirring a bubbling sauce or chopping a million vegetables, 9 times out of 10 I turn to pasta. And lately, I’ve been using Tresomga gluten free quinoa pasta.
Now, let me stop you right there. I do not follow a gluten free diet nor do I think you should unless you have Celiac’s or are allergic. Gluten is cool y’all. BUT, that said, part of eating a varied diet is switching things up so I was stoked to try these new quinoa noods on for size.
Gluten free pastas have let me know in the past. They can be soggy, squishy, sticky, and downright icky. But the world is changing and many brands have come a long way but these Tresomega noodles are some of the best I’ve ever had. They ended up perfectly al dente, which if you’ve ever had GF pasta, you know is a feat.
But we’re not done yet. The noodles are incredible but the star of the show is most definitely the creamy, silky, luxurious, yet somehow totally vegetable-y sauce. What I love about this sauce is that you just have to add a few ingredients to turn humble butternut squash into a decadent blanket for tender noodles. Ohhh that sounded sensual…
Ok that’s enough rambling I know you’re just here for the butternut squash pasta recipe. You want my (not at all) professional opinion? You should DEFINITELY double (triple?) this recipe and bring it as a side for Christmas dinner. Then proceed to sit back and watch smugly as your family devours a gluten free, vegan, oil free serving….. bah humbug. 🙂
When you're short on time, high on hunger, and looking for a satisfying vegan, gluten free dinner, Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms is the way to go! Just 10-ingredients and 30 minutes are all you need to make this delicious dinner happen!
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes
- ½ cup cashews
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk, plus more to thin
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs. miso paste
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, I used shiitake
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- Salt + pepper to season
- Steam the butternut squash in a colander over boiling water for 10-12 minutes, until fork tender. Then, add to the blender with the cashews, milk, nutritional yeast, miso, and seasonings and blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss the mushrooms in the balsamic and soy sauce and bake them on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a 400° oven for 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, bring a pot of heavily salted water (it should taste like the ocean. trust me please.) to a boil and drop in the pasta. Stir once and then boil for 11 minutes, until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pot, and combine with the sauce. Serve topped with mushrooms and an extra drizzle of balsamic. Enjoy!
I was provided with products from Tresomega in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own and I would never share a product with you that I didn’t love!