From root to leaf, this salad can’t be BEET! Eliminate waste and use the whole vegetable in this Beet Green & Quinoa Salad.
I have been holding out on you. I do this thing where I become obsessed with a recipe, eat it nonstop (ahem, like my fav smoothie– which ironically also contains beets…), and then forget to share the recipe. My bad. But I’m finally getting around to it!
Before I share more about this recipe, I have to give credit where it is definitely due. A few months ago, John and I went to an all-vegan participatory dinner at The Kitchen. This place is seriously the coolest. You show up, strap on an apron, get your inner chef on, and then feast family-style at a single long table. SO fun! The dinner we went to was their Vegan Spring Dinner and I was like a kid in a (vegan) candy store! We helped prepare a version of this beet salad and I have been hooked ever since.
Ok now let’s talk greens. Beet greens. Most people, myself included, either cook these down for hours or toss them in the trash (never again!)… I had NO idea how good they were eaten in their raw form. The leaves are tough and hardy like kale, which means they stand up to the heavy dressing. It also makes this salad great for meal prepping. The leaves won’t get all wilty and limp by Wednesday.
Waste is one of my biggest pet peeves in the kitchen. We eliminated all paper products and no longer buy plastic baggies or wraps but I still feel like some weeks, the trashcan is bursting at the seams. I love that this recipe uses all parts of the plant. Like a vegan nose-to-tail. I’ve even saved the stalks, thinly sliced them, and added them to stir fries or soup.
I’ve thought about doing a post of all of my favorite ways to eliminate waste in the kitchen. Would you all be interested? Leave a comment and let me know!
Now about this salad… It has quickly risen in the ranks to become my go-to favorite lunch. And dinner. And snack… I also am now required to bring it to every family and friend event because everyone goes nuts over it. Even people who don’t love beets dig it! It’s quick to prep and easy to transport so naturally, I make it every week.
Bright and healthy yet hardy and filling, I see no reason to hop off this Beet Green and Quinoa Salad lunch train any time soon….
From root to leaf, this salad can’t be BEET! Eliminate waste and use the whole vegetable in this Beet Green and Quinoa Salad.
- 1 bunch beets with greens
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 cup chickpeas
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (or sunflower seeds)
- 3 green onions, thingy sliced
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. maple syrup or agave (optional- I usually skip it)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare beets: Separate beets from greens, scrub beets, wash greens, and dry everything well.
- Wrap each beet in a small piece of foil with a drizzle of olive oil (optional) and plenty of salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa by combining with one cup salt water or broth, bringing to a boil, and simmering for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by combining ingredients in a jar and shaking until combined.
- Remove the stems from the greens and chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss all salad ingredients in a bowl with dressing. Garnish with extra green onions and a squeeze of lemon.