Pasta… Ohhh how I love a large bowl of noodles… But how I hate the later feelings of bloat and regret. You feel me? Well if you do, and you’re looking to still indulge without loading up on carbs and calories, I’ve got splendid news!
Wait… Wasn’t this post supposed to be about pasta? I know, I know. Hear me out. I like to check out the end cap of the produce section at the grocery store where they have the bags of pre-chopped, ready to eat veggies. You can even find some organic brands. These were a life saver this semester when I was short on time but wanted food not short on nutrients. I can even admit to steaming a bag of broccoli and cauliflower and eating the whole thing straight from the bag at my desk while I studied… But never mind me, I’m just an odd little bird…
Well, while checking this section out I eyed “Broccoli Slaw” and decided to see what I could do with it. The resulting recipe is inspired by Hungry Girl’s “Slaw and Order” recipe and takes all of about 10 minutes to make. No joke, I can have this prepped, cooked, cleaned up, and packaged into tupperware in 20 minutes flat. Hellooooo easy meal prep! I make this just about every Sunday night and love eating it warmed up or cold straight from the lunchbox during the week.
Here’s what you would need for the basic recipe:
Basically, the julienned carrot and broccoli stalks are standing in for the pasta here. I’m not going to say it’s JUST like pasta but it’s delicious and filling and full of fiber to keep you full all day. I add beans for protein and more fiber but feel free to leave them out or sub cubed tofu or cooked meat.
After a quick sauté / steam in the pan, the seasonings and soup go in and you have yourself a healthy “pasta” meal!
Isn’t it pretty?? I love all the different colors from the slaw mix! I hope you enjoy the taste as much as I do!
- 1 12oz bag broccoli slaw
- 1 cup tomato soup (your favorite brand)
- 3 Tbs grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cooked beans (garbanzos, white, or pinto work well)
- ½ tsp garlic or garlic powder
- ½-1 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with non-stick spray
- Add broccoli slaw and ¼ cup of water and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes
- Add soup, spices, and beans and cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan
- Garnish with more cheese, fresh herbs, and/or salt and pepper