Man. This semester hit me like a ton of bricks. It’s been over three weeks since I’ve posted because I spent the first two weeks of the semester without a computer. That means none of my pictures, no collection of recipes, and minimal sanity. But. Here we are. In February. Holy cow. And I’m here to tell you about this Cabbage Chopped Salad with Tahini Dressing!
I hope you all have been doing a good job keeping up on New Years resolutions! It can be hard stay focused in the New Year, as things don’t really seem to slow down. I don’t know about you but I’ve been busier than ever…. Because this is my last semester of school I’m trying to (1) kill it, (2) figure out what the heck I want to do, and (3) find that thing adults call a job… Yuck. Oh, and we’re moving. Sooo much excitement but a lot of stress and hard work. It’ll all be worth it!
What has been absolutely keeping me sane has been being 100% prepared every day for school. I have been doing my Sunday meal prep every week with plenty of snacks including chopped veggies, mini boxes of raisins, clementines, and these chocolate muffins (which I of course make into mini muffins because mini everything). I’ve been loving my Chickpea Salad but I decided to switch it up and make this chopped salad and it is so yummy.
Maybe it’s just me, but I get bored with the plain-old lettuce salads real quick. Don’t get me wrong I love me some leafy greens but sometimes enough is enough. Chopped salads totally flip the lunch game on its head. You get a little bit of everything with each bite! A friend in my class said to me “Are you eating coleslaw for lunch…?” I mean… Kinda. But no. I got my inspiration for this recipe here and love how the apples give it a perfect sweetness to counteract the slight bitterness of the tahini. And I added extra edamame for protein- just make sure you snag organic!
So there ya go! This salad makes a pretty decent amount and will definitely last you all week in the fridge. I portion it out into five Tupperwares and boom. Lunch all week. You’re welcome.
This healthy lunch option is a breeze to throw together and will last in your fridge all week for easy lunch-packing!
- ½ small head red cabbage
- 1-2 carrots, peeled
- 1 green apple
- 1 small bag frozen edamame (about 2 cups)
- 3 green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews or almonds (toasted)
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced/ grated
- ½ - 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Chop cabbage into a few large pieces and add to food processor. Pulse until broken down into small, bite-sized pieces but do not over-process. (Alternatively, you can chop the cabbage very small with a knife.) Add to a large bowl.
- Repeat process with carrots or use a grater to shred the carrots and add to the cabbage bowl.
- Chop the green apple into small pieces and slice the green onions thinly and add to the bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook the edamame according to package directions- usually just boil until they float and then drain over a colander. Add to bowl once cooled slightly.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a bowl with a whisk (or a jar with a tight-fitting lid) and combine well.
- Toss veggies with dressing well, making sure all pieces are coated. Top with chopped cashews (and cilantro if desired) and enjoy!