Flavor forces of summer unite! Blueberry Corn Quinoa Salad is super healthy, super summery, and super delicious!
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a disturbing story video of John and I gnawing on empty corncobs, sucking out every drop of sweetness. We are proud born and bread corn-fed Midwesterners. And we are absolutely obsessed with summer corn.
Every year, we eat our way through ear after ear of fresh, juicy maize. There are few feelings like the snapping and popping under your front teeth as you pry the tender kernels off the cob. Even when I was a kid with a gap-tooth grin, I always found a way to gobble up every piece. So it’s only natural that summer corn season is one of my favorite times of the year.
When it comes to buying dozens of ears of my beloved corn, only local will do. I was raised on Ohio corn and there’s just nothing sweeter. Shopping at the farmer’s market is not just how I know I’m getting the best corn, it’s how I know I’m getting the best deal. This weekend, ears went for $6 per baker’s dozen and the price only plummets as farmers find themselves with an abundance of ears.
Shopping at the farmers market and soaking up the sights and sounds has been inspiration for many a AYKM recipe, and this one is no exception. While we were browsing the stalls, I couldn’t resist a huge bag of fresh basil, plump juicy blueberries, and some unique sunflower sprouts. If you can’t find the same things at your market, use what you do find! That’s the most fun of it anyways!
If you need me, I’ll be nibbling on corncobs and throwing corn in everything for the next two months…
Flavor forces of summer unite! Blueberry Corn Quinoa Salad is a super healthy, super summery, and super delicious!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn (about 3 cobs worth)
- 6 oz. blueberries
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- ½ cup sunflower sprouts (or other sprouts)
- 6-8 large basil leaves, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup agave or honey
- 3 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- To make the quinoa: Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve. Add to a small pot with 1 cup salted water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain any excess water and allow to cool completely.
- To make the dressing: Add lime juice, agave, and mustard to a jar. Shake well to combine.
- Assemble: Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss gently to combine. Garnish with additional basil or sunflower seeds if desired.