I’m kind of freaking out about this recipe. When I was testing it, I was pretty skeptical that it would turn out. In fact, I have been testing a few backup recipes in case I couldn’t make this one work. Spoiler alert: I made it work.
“It smells like chicken nuggets in here…” Direct quote from John’s mouth when he wandered into the kitchen while these were baking. I’m going to go ahead and take that as a stamp of approval! (He also gave them the real stamp of approval after tasting!)
Humble tofu’s neutral flavor is the perfect backdrop for Manitoba Harvest’s newest hemp product. The new Hemp Heart Toppers are their traditional hemp seeds mixed with hemp powder and spices- and nothing else! It’s like those old-school seasoning packets but chock-full of healthy protein and fats and without the added preservatives and junk!
The Hemp Heart Toppers come in four exciting flavors! Two sweet: Maple & Cinnamon and Coconut & Cocoa. Two savory: Chipotle Onion & Garlic and Onion Garlic & Rosemary. I went with the latter for this recipe and it did not let me down.
Marinating and breading may seem like a long way to go for tofu, but you’re going to have to trust me that it’s worth it. I even cut out a few steps to make this as easy as possible. Just marinate, toss in the crust, and bake!
Don’t worry if Hemp Heart Toppers haven’t hit the shelves of your local grocery store yet- there’s an easy substitution in the notes of the recipe.
I also want to be sure to mention that Manitoba Harvest doesn’t pay me to sing the praises of their products. They did send me products to try, but I wouldn’t share them with you if I didn’t truly love them! So yes, I am truly as hemp-obsessed as I seem! Now go get yo nuggets on.
Marinated tofu gets tossed in Manitoba Harvest’s newest addition to the hemp family- Hemp Heart Toppers! Rosemary Hemp Crusted Tofu Bites are the plant-based protein your next dinner is missing!
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained & pressed
- ¼ cup veggie broth
- 2 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil (optional)
- ½ cup Garlic, Onion, Rosemary Hemp Heart Toppers*
- ½ cup ground almonds/ almond meal
- ½ tsp. salt
- Mix marinade ingredients together (broth through oil) and pour into a shallow baking dish. Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces, add to baking dish, and toss to coat every piece in the marinade. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight.
- Once the tofu has marinated, in a separate bowl, mix the crust ingredients together. One-by-one, flip each piece of tofu a few times to fully coat in marinade then drop into the bowl of breading. Toss the tofu in the mixture, pressing it onto each piece.
- Place the pieces on a parchment- or silicone-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350F degree oven for 40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
If you don’t have these hemp toppers, don’t fret! Substitute with ½ cup hemp seeds (or more almond flour) mixed with ½ tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. chopped rosemary, and ½ tsp. salt.