Turmeric is, like, SO in right now.
It’s safe to say this golden spice is having its day in the sun. Although, with the seasons changing, the focus is starting to shift to other sweeter flavors. While everyone is making the jump to the pumpkin spice train this time of year, I’m over here like “hey, hey, don’t forget about turmeric!”
For the last few weeks, John and I have been in serious indulgent eating mode. His best friend was in town last weekend, which is always a blast but a serious booze and junk food bender. We both felt crummy last week and decided it was time for a cleanse. We’ve done cleanses before but I’ve started to worry that I might be using these to slip into some dangerous behavior of my disordered eating past.
So this time around, we’re eating. Huzzah for eating! This cleanse/ detox/ reset/ whatever you want to call it is about pumping our bodies full of nutrients and getting back on track. We’re having some fresh fruit and juice in the morning, juice and a little soup for lunch, soup for dinner, and maybe a banana and some other fruit before bed. Oh, and it’s only for two or three days. And then the rest of the week, we’ll eat big, filling salads and piles of roasted veggies. And this soup.
Golden Cabbage Soup doesn’t just refer to the bright yellow hue of this liquid. Lettuce not forget that turmeric is so much more than just a superfood. It’s also delicious! And in this recipe, the warm, lightly spicy, savory flavor truly shines. It has a similar feeling to ginger but with much more savory Indian reminiscent notes.
By making this soup out of nothing but organic, local, fresh vegetables and my own homemade stock, I feel so good about what’s going into my tummy. If you’re looking for a way to reset your body and get back on track with healthy eating, this Golden Cabbage Soup will kick you right into gear! Keep in mind though, it’s essentially just veggies and water, so if you’re eating it as a meal I’d recommend serving it with some hearty whole grain bread smeared with hummus or smashed avocado.
Because cleansing soup is great, but cleansing soup with a side of bread is gold.
Golden Cabbage Soup is as delicious as it is detoxifying and cleansing. A great way to get your comfort food on while kicking junk food cravings to the curb!
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth, I use homemade
- 1 Tbs. turmeric
- ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. black pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add onions. Stir for about two minutes, until starting to soften. You may need to add a bit of water if it starts to stick.
- Add carrots, celery, turmeric, salt, and pepper to onions and sauté for about 8 minutes, adding a splash of water as necessary. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add cabbage and broth and raise the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a low boil, turn down and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the cabbage is soft. Allow to cool completely before storing. Enjoy!