I am having a passionate love affair with local fruit this summer. Typically, I get all hot and bothered over fresh, crunchy summer veggies, but this summer, fruit has been the apple of my eye. Even though we had a hot weather snap and Ohio peaches struggled, I’ve found some gems that were just dying to be baked into a Peach Upside Down Cake!
Cake cake cake cake cake cake cake. I made a cake. And I didn’t have to tell people it was “supposed to be pound cake” or “I was actually going for dry, crumbly mess” because the texture totally stinks. I made a springy, light, airy, toothsome, delicate, delightful cake.
If you know me at all, you know my obsession with chickpea flour. I’ve used it to make pancakes, vegan omelets, mini muffins, and a million other things. There’s nothing it can’t do. When mixed with whole wheat flour, it gives this cake a fluffy texture but has enough body to really hold its own. It’s sort of coffee-caked-textured. In the best way.
A few weeks ago, I picked up the Follow Your Heat Vegan Egg. I bought it on a whim and hadn’t used it until I made this cake. And you know what, it was shockingly cool! I think it really made a difference in texture, but if you don’t have it, any egg replacement will work (check out the notes in the recipe). Animal-free products have come such a long way!
Speaking of vegan replacements, I used my favorite non-dairy yogurt to bring the perfect amount of moisture and sweetness to this cake party. Silk Peach Mango is soooo delicious, packed with plant protein, and just sweet enough. I love to eat it for breakfast with some fresh fruit and granola and it (obviously) great for baking!
Ok, ok I know I sound like a human billboard but I swear no one’s paying me for these opinions! I just love, love, love high quality, vegan brands like Silk and Follow Your Heart. Without them, I wouldn’t have created this summertime delight of a cake and the world would be a much sadder place.
Don’t you agree?
Made with wholesome, plant-based ingredients, you'd never guess this Peach Upside Down Cake is good for you! The perfect summer treat!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup whole wheat (or AP or GF) flour
- ½ cup Silk peach mango yogurt (or other yogurt)
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 3 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. Follow Your Heart vegan egg replacement + ½ cup ice cold water (or 2 eggs)
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbs. coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1-2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use the coconut oil to liberally grease an 8” pan, a few extra clumps are good. Sprinkle 2 Tbs. of the sugar on the bottom of the pan and lay in one sliced peach, about 12 slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, leaving a well in the center.
- In a blender or bullet, add applesauce, yogurt, vanilla extract, and remaining 2 peaches. Blend until completely smooth. Pour into center of dry ingredients.
- Quickly rinse out blender or bullet and add egg replacement and ice-cold water. Blend until very frothy and pour in with other ingredients.
- Use a spatula to stir wet and dry mixtures together, being careful not to over mix. Pour into cake pan over peaches and smooth top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until springy to touch and lightly browned on top.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before placing a plate over the pan and flipping to remove cake. You may have to run a butter knife around the edge. Serve with more yogurt spooned on top.
If you don't have Follow Your Heart vegan egg substitute, feel free to use something else. I have not tried it for this particular recipe but two flax eggs should work well (2 Tbs. ground flax + 1/3 cup water). Alternatively, an additional 1/2 cup of applesauce can be used.